Opuscula Math. 37, no. 6 (2017), 875-886
On the structure of compact graphs
Abstract. A simple graph \(G\) is called a compact graph if \(G\) contains no isolated vertices and for each pair \(x\), \(y\) of non-adjacent vertices of \(G\), there is a vertex \(z\) with \(N(x)\cup N(y)\subseteq N(z)\), where \(N(v)\) is the neighborhood of \(v\), for every vertex \(v\) of \(G\). In this paper, compact graphs with sufficient number of edges are studied. Also, it is proved that every regular compact graph is strongly regular. Some results about cycles in compact graphs are proved, too. Among other results, it is proved that if the ascending chain condition holds for the set of neighbors of a compact graph \(G\), then the descending chain condition holds for the set of neighbors of \(G\).
Keywords: compact graph, vertex degree, cycle, neighborhood.
Mathematics Subject Classification: 05C07, 05C38, 68R10.
- G. Aalipour, S. Akbari, R. Nikandish, M.J. Nikmehr, F. Shaveisi, On the coloring of the annihilating-ideal graph of a commutative ring, Discrete. Math. 312 (2012), 2620-2626.
- L.W. Beineke, B.J. Wilson, Selected Topics in Graph Theory, Academic Press Inc., London, 1978.
- J.A. Bondy, U.S.R. Murty, Graph Theory, Graduate Texts in Mathematics, vol. 244, Springer, New York, 2008.
- C. Godsil, G. Royle, Algebraic Graph Theory, New York, Springer-Verlag, 2001.
- R. Halaš, M. Jukl, On Beck's coloring of posets, Discrete Math. 309 (2009), 4584-4589.
- R. Halaš, H. Länger, The zero-divisor graph of a qoset, Order 27 (2010), 343-351.
- D.C. Lu, T.S. Wu, The zero-divisor graphs of posets and an application to semigroups, Graphs and Combin. 26 (2010), 793-804.
- T.S. Wu, D.C. Lu, Sub-semigroups of determined by the zero-divisor graph, Discrete Math. 308 (2008), 5122-5135.
- Communicated by Mirko Horňák.
- Received: 2016-05-25.
- Accepted: 2017-02-15.
- Published online: 2017-09-28.