Opuscula Math. 38, no. 3 (2018), 379-393
On expansive and anti-expansive tree maps
Abstract. With every self-map on the vertex set of a finite tree one can associate the directed graph of a special type which is called the Markov graph. Expansive and anti-expansive tree maps are two extremal classes of maps with respect to the number of loops in their Markov graphs. In this paper we prove that a tree with at least two vertices has a perfect matching if and only if it admits an expansive cyclic permutation of its vertices. Also, we show that for every tree with at least three vertices there exists an expansive map with a weakly connected (strongly connected provided the tree has a perfect matching) Markov graph as well as anti-expansive map with a strongly connected Markov graph.
Keywords: maps on trees, Markov graphs, Sharkovsky's theorem.
Mathematics Subject Classification: 37E25, 37E15, 05C20.
- A. Dobrynin, I. Gutman, Solving a problem connected with distances in graphs, Graph Theory Notes N. Y. 28 (1995), 21-23.
- C-W. Ho, C. Morris, A graph-theoretic proof of Sharkovsky's theorem on the periodic points of continuous functions, Pacific J. Math. 96 (1981), 361-370.
- H. Hosoya, Topological index. A newly proposed quantity characterizing the topological nature of structural isomers of saturated hydrocarbons, Bull. Chem. Soc. Jap. 44 (1971), 2332-2339.
- S. Kozerenko, Discrete Markov graphs: loops, fixed points and maps preordering, J. Adv. Math. Stud. 9 (2016), 99-109.
- S. Kozerenko, Markov graphs of one-dimensional dynamical systems and their discrete analogues, Rom. J. Math. Comput. Sci. 6 (2016), 16-24.
- S. Kozerenko, Counting the average size of Markov graphs, J. Int. Math. Virtual Inst. 7 (2017), 1-16.
- S. Kozerenko, On the abstract properties of Markov graphs for maps on trees, Mat. Bilten 41 (2017), 5-21.
- V.A. Pavlenko, On characterization of periodic digraphs, Cybernet. Systems Anal. 25 (1989), 49-54 [in Russian].
- A.N. Sharkovsky, Coexistence of cycles of a continuous mapping of the line into itself, Ukrainian Math. J. 16 (1964), 61-71 [in Russian].
- P.D. Straffin, Periodic points of continuous functions, Math. Mag. 51 (1978), 99-105.
- M. Tchuente, Parallel calculation of a linear mapping on a computer network, Linear Algebra Appl. 28 (1979), 223-247.
- M. Tchuente, Parallel realization of permutations over trees, Discrete Math. 39 (1982), 211-214.
- M. Tchuente, Permutation factorization on star-connected networks of binary automata, SIAM J. Alg. Disc. Meth. 6 (1985), 537-540.
- Communicated by Andrzej Żak.
- Received: 2017-06-13.
- Revised: 2017-12-07.
- Accepted: 2017-12-19.
- Published online: 2018-03-19.