Opuscula Math. 38, no. 3 (2018), 327-356
Improved iterative oscillation tests for first-order deviating differential equations
Abstract. In this paper, improved oscillation conditions are established for the oscillation of all solutions of differential equations with non-monotone deviating arguments and nonnegative coefficients. They lead to a procedure that checks for oscillations by iteratively computing \(\lim \sup\) and \(\lim \inf\) on terms recursively defined on the equation's coefficients and deviating argument. This procedure significantly improves all known oscillation criteria. The results and the improvement achieved over the other known conditions are illustrated by two examples, numerically solved in MATLAB.
Keywords: differential equation, non-monotone argument, oscillatory solution, nonoscillatory solution.
Mathematics Subject Classification: 34K06, 34K11.
- E. Braverman, G.E. Chatzarakis, I.P. Stavroulakis, Iterative oscillation tests for differential equations with several non-monotone arguments, Adv. Difference Equ. 2016, 1-18.
- E. Braverman, B. Karpuz, On oscillation of differential and difference equations with non-monotone delays, Appl. Math. Comput. 218 (2011), 3880-3887.
- G.E. Chatzarakis, Differential equations with non-monotone arguments: Iterative Oscillation results, J. Math. Comput. Sci. 6 (2016) 5, 953-964.
- G.E. Chatzarakis, On oscillation of differential equations with non-monotone deviating arguments, Mediterr. J. Math. (2017), 14:82.
- G.E. Chatzarakis, T. Li, Oscillation criteria for delay and advanced differential equations with non-monotone arguments, Complexity (2018), in press.
- G.E. Chatzarakis, Ö. Öcalan, Oscillations of differential equations with several non-monotone advanced arguments, Dynamical Systems: An International Journal (2015), 1-14.
- L.H. Erbe, B.G. Zhang, Oscillation of first order linear differential equations with deviating arguments, Differential Integral Equations 1 (1988), 305-314.
- L.H. Erbe, Q. Kong, B.G. Zhang, Oscillation Theory for Functional Differential Equations, Marcel Dekker, New York, 1995.
- N. Fukagai, T. Kusano, Oscillation theory of first order functional-differential equations with deviating arguments, Ann. Mat. Pura Appl. 136 (1984), 95-117.
- J. Jaroš, I.P. Stavroulakis, Oscillation tests for delay equations, Rocky Mountain J. Math. 45 (2000), 2989-2997.
- C. Jian, On the oscillation of linear differential equations with deviating arguments, Math. in Practice and Theory 1 (1991), 32-40.
- M. Kon, Y.G. Sficas, I.P. Stavroulakis, Oscillation criteria for delay equations, Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 128 (1994), 675-685.
- R.G. Koplatadze, T.A. Chanturija, Oscillating and monotone solutions of first-order differential equations with deviating argument, Differentsial'nye Uravneniya 18 (1982), 1463-1465, 1472 [in Russian].
- R.G. Koplatadze, G. Kvinikadze, On the oscillation of solutions of first-order delay differential inequalities and equations, Georgian Math. J. 3 (1994), 675-685.
- Y. Kuang, Delay differential equations with application in population dynamics, Academic Press, Boston, 1993.
- T. Kusano, On even-order functional-differential equations with advanced and retarded arguments, J. Differential Equations 45 (1982), 75-84.
- M.K. Kwong, Oscillation of first-order delay equations, J. Math. Anal. Appl. 156 (1991), 274-286.
- G. Ladas, I.P. Stavroulakis, Oscillations caused by several retarded and advanced arguments, J. Differential Equations 44 (1982), 134-152.
- G. Ladas, V. Lakshmikantham, L.S. Papadakis, Oscillations of higher-order retarded differential equations generated by the retarded arguments, Delay and Functional Differential Equations and their Applications, Academic Press, New York, 1972, 219-231.
- G.S. Ladde, Oscillations caused by retarded perturbations of first order linear ordinary differential equations, Atti Acad. Naz. Lincei Rendiconti 63 (1978), 351-359.
- G.S. Ladde, V. Lakshmikantham, B.G. Zhang, Oscillation Theory of Differential Equations with Deviating Arguments, Monographs and Textbooks in Pure and Applied Mathematics, vol. 110, Marcel Dekker, Inc., New York, 1987.
- X. Li, D. Zhu, Oscillation and nonoscillation of advanced differential equations with variable coefficients, J. Math. Anal. Appl. 269 (2002), 462-488.
- H.A. El-Morshedy, E.R. Attia, New oscillation criterion for delay differential equations with non-monotone arguments, Appl. Math. Lett. 54 (2016), 54-59.
- A.D. Myshkis, Lineare Differentialgleichungen mit nacheilendem Argument, Deutscher Verlag. Wiss. Berlin, 1955, Translation of the 1951 Russian edition.
- A.D. Myshkis, Linear homogeneous differential equations of first order with deviating arguments, Uspekhi Mat. Nauk 5 (1950), 160-162 [in Russian].
- I.P. Stavroulakis, Oscillation criteria for delay and difference equations with non-monotone arguments, Appl. Math. Comput. 226 (2014), 661-672.
- J.S. Yu, Z.C. Wang, B.G. Zhang, X.Z. Qian, Oscillations of differential equations with deviating arguments, Panamer. Math. J. 2 (1992) 2, 59-78.
- B.G. Zhang, Oscillation of solutions of the first-order advanced type differential equations, Science Exploration 2 (1982), 79-82.
- D. Zhou, On some problems on oscillation of functional differential equations of first order, J. Shandong University 25 (1990), 434-442.
- Communicated by Marek Galewski.
- Received: 2017-07-26.
- Revised: 2018-01-17.
- Accepted: 2018-01-19.
- Published online: 2018-03-19.