Opuscula Math. 37, no. 5 (2017), 705-724
Existence of minimal and maximal solutions to RL fractional integro-differential initial value problems
Abstract. In this work we investigate integro-differential initial value problems with Riemann Liouville fractional derivatives where the forcing function is a sum of an increasing function and a decreasing function. We will apply the method of lower and upper solutions and develop two monotone iterative techniques by constructing two sequences that converge uniformly and monotonically to minimal and maximal solutions. In the first theorem we will construct two natural sequences and in the second theorem we will construct two intertwined sequences. Finally, we illustrate our results with an example.
Keywords: Riemann Liouville derivative, integro-differential equation, monotone method.
Mathematics Subject Classification: 26A33, 34A08, 34A45, 45J05.
- S. Abbas, M. Benchohra, G.M. N'Guérékata, Topics in Fractional Differential Equations, Springer, New York, 2012.
- V. Anderson, C. Bettis, S. Brown, J. Davis, N. Tull-Walker, V. Chellamuthu, A.S. Vatsala, Superlinear convergence via mixed generalized quasilinearization method and generalized monotone method, Involve: A Journal of Mathematics 7 (2014) 5, 699-712.
- J. Cui, Y. Zou, Existence results and the monotone iterative technique for nonlinear fractional differential systems with coupled four-point boundary value problems, Abstr. Appl. Anal. (2014).
- Z. Denton, A.S. Vatsala, Fractional integral inequalities and applications, Computers and Mathematics with Applications 59 (2010), 1087-1094.
- Z. Denton, A.S. Vatsala, Monotone iterative technique for finite systems of nonlinear Riemann-Liouville fractional differential equations, Opuscula Math. 31 (2011) 3, 327-339.
- K. Diethelm, The Analysis of Fractional Differential Equations, Lecture Notes in Mathematics, Springer, 2004.
- T. Jankowski, Initial value problems for neutral fractional differential equations involving a Riemann-Liouville derivative, Appl. Math. Comput. 219 (2013), 7772-7776.
- T. Jankowski, Boundary problems for fractional differential equations, Appl. Math. Lett. 28 (2014), 14-19.
- A.A. Kilbas, H.M. Srivastava, J.J. Trujillo, Theory and Applications of Fractional Differential Equations, Elsevier, North Holland, 2006.
- G.S. Ladde, V. Lakshmikantham, A.S. Vatsala, Monotone Iterative Techniques for Nonlinear Differential Equations, Pitman Publishing, 1985.
- V. Lakshmikantham, S. Leela, D.J. Vasundhara, Theory of Fractional Dynamic Systems, Cambridge Scientific Publishers, 2009.
- V. Lakshmikantham, M. Rama Mohana Rao, Theory of Integro-differential Equations, vol. 1, Stability and Control: Theory Methods and Applications, Gordon and Breach Science Publishers, Lausanne, 1995.
- V. Lakshmikantham, A.S. Vatsala, Theory of fractional differential inequalities and applications, Commun. Appl. Anal. 11 (2007), 395-402.
- V. Lakshmikantham, A.S. Vatsala, Basic theory of fractional differential equations, Nonlinear Anal. 69 (2008), 2677-2682.
- V. Lakshmikantham, A.S. Vatsala, General uniqueness and monotone iterative technique for fractional differential equations, Appl. Math. Lett. 21 (2008), 828-834.
- Q. Li, S. Sun, P. Zhao, Z. Han, Existence and uniqueness of solutions for initial value problem of nonlinear fractional differential equations, Abstr. Appl. Anal. (2012).
- S. Liu, G. Wang, L. Zhang, Existence results for a coupled system of nonlinear neutral fractional differential equations, Appl. Math. Lett. 26 (2013), 1120-1124.
- F.A. McRae, Monotone iterative technique and existence results for fractional differential equations, Nonlinear Anal. 71 (2009) 12, 6093-6096.
- F.A. McRae, Monotone method for periodic boundary value problems of Caputo fractional differential equations, Commun. Appl. Anal. 14 (2010) 1, 73-80.
- S. Muniswamy, A.S. Vatsala, Numerical approach via generalized monotone method for scalar Caputo fractional differential equations, Neural Parallel Sci. Comput. 21 (2013), 19-30.
- C. Noel, H. Sheila, N. Zenia, P. Dayonna, W. Jasmine, S. Muniswamy, A.S. Vatsala, Numerical application of generalized monotone method for population models, Neural Parallel Sci. Comput. 20 (2012), 359-372.
- K.B. Oldham, J. Spanier, The Fractional Calculus, Academic Press, New York, London, 1974.
- I. Podlubny, Fractional Differential Equations, Academic Press, San Diego, 1999.
- J.D. Ramirez, A.S. Vatsala, Monotone iterative technique for fractional differential equations with periodic boundary conditions, Opuscula Math. 29 (2009) 3, 289-304.
- K. Shah, H. Khalil, R.A. Khan, Upper and lower solutions to a coupled system of nonlinear fractional differential equations, Progress in Fractional Differentiation and Applications 1 (2015), 1-10.
- K. Shah, R.A. Khan, Iterative solutions to a coupled system of non-linear fractional differential equation, Journal of Fractional Calculus and Applications 7 (2016) 2, 40-50.
- G. Wang, S. Liu, L. Zhang, Neutral fractional integro-differential equation with nonlinear term depending on lower order derivative, J. Comput. Appl. Math. 260 (2014), 167-172.
- L. Zhang, B. Ahmad, G. Wang, Successive iterations for positive extremal solutions of nonlinear fractional differential equations on a half-line, Bull. Aust. Math. Soc. 91 (2014), 116-128.
- Z. Zheng, X. Zhang, J. Shao, Existence for certain systems of nonlinear fractional differential equations, J. Appl. Math. (2014).
- Communicated by Theodore A. Burton.
- Received: 2016-09-05.
- Revised: 2016-12-21.
- Accepted: 2016-12-23.
- Published online: 2017-07-05.