Opuscula Math. 35, no. 3 (2015), 333-352
Ruin probability in a risk model with variable premium intensity and risky investments
Abstract. We consider a generalization of the classical risk model when the premium intensity depends on the current surplus of an insurance company. All surplus is invested in the risky asset, the price of which follows a geometric Brownian motion. We get an exponential bound for the infinite-horizon ruin probability. To this end, we allow the surplus process to explode and investigate the question concerning the probability of explosion of the surplus process between claim arrivals.
Keywords: risk process, infinite-horizon ruin probability, variable premium intensity, risky investments, exponential bound, stochastic differential equation, explosion time, existence and uniqueness theorem, supermartingale property.
Mathematics Subject Classification: 91B30, 60H10, 60G46.
- R.P. Agarwal, D. O'Regan, An Introduction to Ordinary Differential Equations, Springer, New York, 2008.
- S. Asmussen, Ruin Probabilities, World Scientific, Singapore, 2000.
- P. Azcue, N. Muler, Optimal investment strategy to minimize the ruin probability of an insurance company under borrowing constraints, Insurance Math. Econom. 44 (2009) 1, 26-34.
- J. Cai, C. Xu, On the decomposition of the ruin probability for a jump-diffusion surplus process compounded by a geometric Brownian motion, N. Am. Actuar. J. 10 (2006) 2, 120-132.
- A. Frolova, Yu. Kabanov, S. Pergamenshchikov, In the insurance business risky investments are dangerous, Finance Stoch. 6 (2002) 2, 227-235.
- J. Gaier, P. Grandits, W. Schachermayer, Asymptotic ruin probabilities and optimal investment, Ann. Appl. Probab. 13 (2003) 3, 1054-1076.
- J. Grandell, Aspects of Risk Theory, Springer-Verlag, New York, 1991.
- P. Grandits, Minimal ruin probabilities and investment under interest force for a class of subexponential distributions, Scand. Actuar. J. 2005 6, 401-416.
- C. Hipp, M. Plum, Optimal investment for insurers, Insurance Math. Econom. 27 (2000) 2, 215-228.
- C. Hipp, H. Schmidli, Asymptotics of ruin probabilities for controlled risk processes in the small claims case, Scand. Actuar. J. 2004 5, 321-335.
- N. Ikeda, S. Watanabe, Stochastic Differential Equations and Diffusion Processes, North-Holland Publishing Co., Amsterdam, Kodansha Ltd., Tokyo, 1989.
- V. Kalashnikov, R. Norberg, Power tailed ruin probabilities in the presence of risky investments, Stochastic Process. Appl. 98 (2002) 2, 211-228.
- I. Karatzas, S.E. Shreve, Brownian Motion and Stochastic Calculus, Springer-Verlag, New York, 1991.
- I. Karatzas, J. Ruf, Distribution of the time of explosions for one-dimensional diffusions, (2013), arXiv:1303.5899.
- C.S. Liu, H. Yang, Optimal investment for an insurer to minimize its probability of ruin, N. Am. Actuar. J. 8 (2004) 2, 11-31.
- J. Ma, X. Sun, Ruin probabilities for insurance models involving investments, Scand. Actuar. J. 2003 3, 217-237.
- A. Mijatović, Local time and the pricing of time-dependent barrier options, Finance Stoch. 14 (2010) 1, 13-48.
- J. Paulsen, On Cramér-like asymptotics for risk processes with stochastic return on investments, Ann. Appl. Probab. 12 (2002) 4, 1247-1260.
- S. Pergamenshchikov, O. Zeitouny, Ruin probability in the presence of risky investments, Stochastic Process. Appl. 116 (2006) 2, 267-278.
- T. Rolski, H. Schmidli, V. Schmidt, J. Teugels, Stochastic Processes for Insurance and Finance, John Wiley & Sons, Chichester, 1999.
- H. Schmidli, On optimal investment and subexponential claims, Insurance Math. Econom. 36 (2005) 1, 25-35.
- K.C. Yuen, G. Wang, R. Wu, On the renewal risk process with stochastic interest, Stochastic Process. Appl. 116 (2006) 10, 1496-1510.
- Communicated by Ekkehard Kopp.
- Received: 2014-04-13.
- Revised: 2014-08-18.
- Accepted: 2014-09-05.
- Published online: 2014-12-15.